Monday, May 21, 2012

Safe and Warm by the Fire

When we first bought our house, I went back and forth with myself about the brick fireplace.  In some ways, I  loved it...it was rustic and classic.  But ultimately, I didn't want to actually OWN one.  It just seems a little to Cinderella for my taste. I wanted something gorgeous and elegant, like this:


Or this...


or even this one.


There wasn't anything super unobtainable about these fireplaces.  Nothing really a few thousand dollars wouldn't cure...a few thousand dollars we don't have...and would probably never chose to spend on just a fireplace.  Although, I have to admit that middle one above is to die for.  

Really what I pulled out of the above is that I love white fireplaces.  This is totally doable in two ways... a simple less expensive way and a difficult more expensive way.  



P.S. any one else dying over the brown and white room above?!  I am IN LOVE with it!!

Instead of waiting many months or even years to get a mantle to cover the brick (which could always be an option in the future) I bit the bullet and decided to paint our fireplace Dove White.  Here is my story...

I looked it instructions and tips online, as I usually do before starting a project.  They told me it was rather simple.  Tape off what you don't want painted, get a nice fluffy roller and get to it!  Simple as that.

Nothing is ever that simple right?!

I did like I was told.

1) Tape?  Done.  No need to tape near the walls or floor...because...um well because I painted the entire house and I trust I will be okay...plus if I get some on the walls, I have more wall paint to fix it.  If I get it on the carpeting...well I better be careful right?



2)  Let the painting begin!  That grin on my face is a combination of "oh crap I can't believe I'm doing this" and "take the damn picture!!"


3)  Hey!  This is kind of fun!!  As you can see...the tape was handy.



4)  Okay...getting nervous now!  Right before this picture was taken, my perfectionist mom came over to visit before going wine tasting.  "Ohhhh...it looks nice..."  You could hear the hesitation in her voice, and I don't blame her.  I was nervous too.  But I also knew this was coat #1.





5)  Never mind!  I love it!!  After three coats of paint, it was flawless.  All the little nooks and crannies were saturated in the soft creamy white paint, and I couldn't be any happier with the results.  I purchased some Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint...so the next project will be to paint the fireplace grate.  





What about you?  What spur of the moment thing have you done to your house??

**UPDATE!!**

Last night, I decided to tape off everything and spray paint the grate Oil Rubbed Bronze...at 11pm...on a work night.  This is what happens when Mr Chateau goes on business trips.  I primed it and painted it...and learned a harsh lesson...don't just tape it off...make sure to cover EVERY piece of the fireplace in paper...unless you have more paint to fix the over spray.  Luckily, I did.  

I was too lazy to look for the memory card...and wouldn't you know?  It has gone missing.  Thank goodness for iPhones (sorry for the poor quality).  I also redecorated the fireplace...I suppose I should call this Fireplace 2012 v2:


Paint Color:  Dove White and Cosmopolitan by Benjamin Moore
Candles: Ikea (got to love the prices!)
Milk Crate: Privet House by Target (Spring 2012)
Dog Toy Basket: TJ Maxx (Spring 2012)
Silver Mercury Globe: Pottery Barn (Spring 2012)
Gold Mercury Globe: Ross (Spring 2012)
Sid Dicken Tiles (2012)
Lantern: Privet House by Target (Spring 2012)
Bust: TJ Maxx
Drawing: Etsy Artist Drawworm, Kelley





No comments:

Post a Comment